If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, active or retired, and need car insurance, you will want to know the top 3 auto insurance companies for military and veterans.
Why these three? While there are many different companies offering auto insurance, these three specialize in providing service to current and former members of the military.
Anyone who’s been in the military probably already knows this, but some family members may not. The USAA was founded in 1922 by 25 Army officers who offered to insure each other’s vehicles when no one else would. Generations later, the USAA is still the premier auto insurance company for military and veterans, offering insurance in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and some international locations. Go to their website or call 1-800-531-USAA (531-8722).
Special benefits include:
- 15 percent discount on comprehensive coverage if you garage your vehicle on base in most states
- Average savings of $450 annually when you switch to USAA from another auto insurance company
- Accident forgiveness for good drivers for as little at $1 per month
- Safe driver and good student discounts
- Flexible payment options at no charge according to your pay schedule
- USAA roadside assistance, for towing, gas delivery, tire replacement and more, for any USAA-insured vehicle you drive
- Guaranteed renewal, as long as you continue to drive and meet some basic USAA requirements
- Protection for your new teen driver
USAA strives to keep rates low for members, but they do, like other auto insurers, look at your driving record and type of car you drive, and may consider a credit-based insurance score – in states where that is permitted.
GEICO, the auto insurance company featuring the cute gecko, also has a top-rated military program serving the insurance needs of men and women serving our country since 1936. GEICO’s Military Center, located in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is staffed with current and former military family members. Go to their website or call 1-800-MILITARY (645-4827).
Special benefits include:
- Special discounts to service men and women of up to 15 percent on total insurance premium (available to active duty, retired from the military, or member of the National Guard or Reserves)
- Emergency deployment discounts
- Insurance discounts to members of certain military-related organizations
Armed Forces Insurance/Progressive
Military and veterans can also get special auto insurance through the Armed Forces Insurance (AFI). Currently, the AFI offers auto policies in 10 states, and can be your agent for a policy through Progressive Insurance in 28 additional states. Founded in 1887, the AFI is a reciprocal exchange. In other words, it is owned by its policyholders. Contact them at 1-800-637-5728.
Special benefits include reduced rate plans and discounts (available in most states):
- Multiple policy discount
- Good driver discount (for policyholders who are free of accidents/convictions for the past five years)
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Good student discount
- Accident prevention course
- Anti-theft device discounts
- Military installation garaging discount of 15 percent on comprehensive coverage
- Safety equipment discounts
Bottom line: When you’re looking for the top 3 auto insurance companies for military and veterans, definitely check out USAA, GEICO’s Military Center and AFI.