Written by James Hamel
Overview (Final Grade after 8 Categories: B+)
Most everything is carryover for model year 2015 in regards to Mazda’s hot selling compact family SUV which surprised even the manufacturer by managing to sell about 100,000 units each year it has been on sale. Those figures aren’t ahead of the giant heavyweights in this class like the CR-V, RAV-4 and Escape but it does outsell a surprising number of rivals with a planned future increase in production capacity for the CX-5 one possible way for this vehicle to finally reach the upper echelon of this hot vehicle class in terms of units sold.
What We Loved about the 2015
- The quick and communicative steering and nimble handling made it fun to drive
- The exterior styling was sporty without trying too hard
- The 2.5 liter SkyActiv 184 horsepower 4-cylinder had plenty of power and returned miraculous fuel economy
What We Didn’t Love about the 2015 Mazda CX-5
- The USB/i-Pod input was painfully slow to upload our song library to the Garmin based audio head unit
- The navigation system looked like an afterthought, which it is as Garmin supplies it, but Mazda is replacing it with a state of the art system and audio for 2016
- Um…Mazda wouldn’t let us keep it. Sorry, we can’t even think of a nit to pick here
To read the full review, visit Mazda CX-5 review.