Are you searching for the best auto insurance companies for Oregon? If so, we’ve got some resources to help you choose the best auto insurer to meet your needs. Of course, how you define a car insurance company as the best is certainly one consideration, and it will vary from one person to the next. Another is which car insurance companies have the highest reported customer satisfaction. We’ll use several sources to arrive at the best auto insurance companies for Oregon.
Oregon Department of Insurance – Start with the state of Oregon Department of Insurance for valuable tips on how to find auto insurance. Be sure to check out the various brochures, FAQs and other resources while you’re on the site.
Want to know the biggest auto insurance companies in the state by market share? Reviewing the top 25 authorized companies, the biggest are State Farm (18.04 percent market share), Farmers Insurance Company of Oregon (12.92 percent market share), Safeco Insurance Company of Oregon (5.94 percent market share), Progressive Classic Insurance (4.51 percent), Progressive Universal Insurance Company (4.49 percent), American Family (3.63 percent), Allstate Insurance Company (3.17 percent), and Geico General Insurance Company (2.78 percent).
Another important document to review is the 2009 Complaint Index. Here’s how the auto insurance companies listed above (by market share in the state) do according to 2009 complaint index. The listing shows company name, 2009 premiums (in millions), complaints, and complaint ratio.
- Progressive Classic Insurance – $87 million, 26 complaints, 0.52 complaint index
- State Farm – $362 million, 95 complaints, 0.63 complaint index
- American Family Insurance – $75 million, 25 complaints, 0.65 complaint index
- Progressive Universal Insurance Company – $86 million, 37 complaints, 0.82 complaint index
- Geico General Insurance Company – $55 million, 24 complaints, 1.05 complaint index
- Farmers Insurance Company of Oregon – $263 million, 126 complaints, 1.18 complaint index
- Safeco Insurance Compan of Oregon – $122 million, 74 complaints, 1.49 complaint index
- Allstate Insurance Company – $67 million, 64 complaints, 2.29 complaint index
J.D. Power and Associates – Another important consideration for the best car insurance companies for Oregon is which ones have the highest overall customer satisfaction. The annual J.D. Power and Associates 2010 U.S. National Auto Insurance Study provides a good look at the best-rated car insurers across five factors: interaction, policy offerings, billing and payment, price, and claims. Checking their list, the top car insurance companies (doing business in Oregon, although they may be headquartered elsewhere) are State Farm and Geico, each with a four-circle JDPA rating. Allstate, American Family Group, Farmers and Progressive each have a three-circle JDPA rating.
For more tips on car insurance, visit our section on car insurance where you can get additional tips and insurance quotes.
Bottom line: Do your research to find the best auto insurance companies for Oregon. Be sure to ask for all available discounts to get the best rate possible.