Looking for the best car insurance rates? If you’re considering buying a new or used car or are searching for better car insurance rates than you currently have, it’s worth looking into. Here are some tips on how to find the best car insurance rates.
- Check with your current car insurance provider – The first thing to do is to contact the car insurance provider you currently have to see if you can obtain a better rate. If you insure your home and car or carry other insurance with the same company, you may qualify for a bundled discount. These discounts can be substantial. In addition, inquire about additional discounts for which you may be available, such as good driver, student, long-time customer, driving a vehicle with certain types of security features, driving a low number of miles each year and others.
- Know your credit score – If you’re trying to get a policy with a new insurance company, be aware that they will check your credit score and history. The best insurance rates are available to those with top-tier credit scores and a consistent, on-time bill payment history. You can get one free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the nationwide credit reporting agencies through AnnualCreditReport.com. For a small fee, you can obtain your credit score through one of the nationwide credit reporting agencies. It’s worth knowing your credit score, so this is a good investment.
- Comparison shop rates online – Let’s say you’ve already contacted your current car insurance provider and want to know what else is available that may be better. Your best bet is to do comparison shopping of the best car insurance rates online. There are various tools online to obtain car insurance quotes, including BankRate.com and InsWeb.com.
- Thoroughly analyze quotes from competing providers – Don’t be in a hurry to snag the first quote you receive. Give it some time to analyze numerous quotes to see which is the best deal. Check out the best auto insurance companies in the J.D. Power and Associates 2010 National Auto Insurance Study and include the highest-ranked ones in your competitive quote search. Also consider policy offerings, customer service, billing and payment, price, and claims from one company to the other.
- Compare car insurance rates at least once a year – Consumers who want to find the best car insurance rates don’t wait for when they buy a new car. It’s always a good idea to do comparison shopping for rates at least once a year. You could save hundreds of dollars.
Bottom line: It takes a bit of work on your part to secure the best car insurance rates. But the result will be well worth it if you can save yourself money on your car insurance premium – and assure yourself that you are getting the kind of coverage, customer service, and claims handling that are the best in the industry.
For more tips on car insurance, visit our section on car insurance where you can get additional tips and insurance quotes.