An all-important dimension of driving is inside the car, so it comes as no surprise that the renowned publication, Ward’s, would look at the best car interior. The result is Ward’s 10 Best Interiors.
Editors used the same methodology employed for the annual Ward’s 10 Best Engines. Each of 51 vehicles was scored based on comfort, safety, human-machine interface, materials, ergonomics, fit-and-finish, aesthetics and overall value. Here is the list of the 10 winners of best car interior.
- 2011 – Its dazzling interior of high-gloss wood on seat backs, suede inserts on door panels, and other high-quality and intuitive design elements “further cements Audi’s status as the design leader for luxury car interiors,” say Ward’s editors of the $93,525 2011 Audi A8.
- 2011 BMW x3 xDrive35i – Superb fit-and-finish, fold-flat seating with plenty of room for five, black and cream color scheme and wood trim on dash, door panels and center console are called out in the 2011 BMW x3 xDrive35i. At $52,025, Ward’s says it’s “a worthy contender in the luxury/cross utility segment.”
- 2011 2LT RS – Great attention to noise reduction, high-quality plastics and soft-touch surfaces, properly-bolstered leather-appointed seats add up to a “wonderful value at $22,910” in the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT RS.
- 2011 Rally Plus – Although the Ward’s tester sported a blazing red interior (seats, center arm rests and door panels), editors concluded that any interior color of the redesigned 2011 Dodge Charger Rally Plus ($34,635) would look great with its sporty gauges and one-piece matte-finish metallic trim.
($27,520) came fully loaded with navigation, moonroof and self-park capability.
Titanium – Saying it’s a worthy sporty competitor in the larger mid-size segment, Ward’s editors hailed the 2011 Ford Focus Titanium as a best car interior for its “engaging combination” of leather seats, door and center console in deep-gray and cranberry-red in the tester. The five-door hatchback
- 2011 Touring Elite – Ward’s finds the top-of-the-line 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite ($44,030 as tested) is not only family-friendly for transporting “multiple children over the age of six,” but also features 10 cupholders, a generous cargo compartment, two-tier storage bins in the front doors, an easily-accessible, comfortable and adult-friendly third row, and even a ‘cool box’ refrigerator located below the center stack.
- 2011 Limited – Proving that the best car interior can be found in an affordable family car, the 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited ($22,110 as tested) five-passenger compact sedan won points from Ward’s testers for its “curvaceous sensuality.”
- 2011 EX – The all-new 2011 Kia Optima EX impressed Ward’s editors with its perforated leather seats, heated and cooled front seats, premium audio and panoramic sunroof. The 2011 Kia Optima EX tested was priced at $22,440.
- 2011 Overland Summit – With its deep-grain tan leather seats and powerful V-8 engine, the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit SUV (at $48,770) won high marks from Ward’s editors as an “ultimate comfort mobile for the Rubicon Trail.”
- 2011 Volvo S60 – Highlights of this best car interior include balance, everything from the “beautifully angular” door panels to the floating center stack. The 2011 Volvo S60, at $46,200, say Ward’s editors, is “an undiscovered gem in the heart of the luxury market.”