If you’re buying a car, along with considerations such as different makes and models, purchase price, incentives, and financing, you also need to think about which automakers offer the best new car warranty. In fact the best new car warranty is offered by Hyundai and Kia, two Korean automakers.
Most new cars carry a basic new care warranty that covers vehicles for 3-years/36,000-miles (whichever comes first). Other automakers, particularly luxury car manufacturers, started adding years/miles to their warranties as a marketing advantage. But then Hyundai and Kia started offering lengthy warranties that upped the ante, in effect becoming the best new car warranty available today.
Kia markets its warranty as industry leading. The numbers tell the story: 10-years/100,000-miles. The Kia warranty consists of various components, including:
- 10-year or 100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty
- 5-year or 60,000-mile limited basic warranty
- 5-year or 100,000-mile limited anti-perforation warranty
- 5-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance plan
Each of the Kia warranty components provides protection until the year or total mileage figure is reached, whichever comes first.
See the Kia website for a more complete description of the Kia warranty, including limitations.
The other automaker offering the best new car warranty is Hyundai, whose program is marketed as “America’s Best Warranty.” Like Kia’s warranty, the Hyundai warranty is 10-years/100,000 miles. It includes various components:
- 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain protection
- 5-year/60,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty
- 7-year/unlimited miles anti-perforation warranty
- 5-year/unlimited miles 24-hour roadside assistance
- 12-month/12,000-mile replacement parts and accessories limited warranty
- 8-year/80,000-mile Federal emission defect and performance warranty
- 7-year/70,000-mile California emission control systems warranty
For more information on the specifics of the Hyundai new car warranty, and how it compares to some of the competition, see the Hyundai website.
New 2011 Hyundai vehicles covered by the warranty include Accent, Elantra, Elantra Touring, Sonata, Azera, the Tucson, Santa Fe and Veracruz crossovers, and the performance Genesis coupe and Genesis sedan.
Bottom line: Be sure to check the warranty (all aspects) of any new car you intend to purchase. Better yet, to be sure to get the best new car warranty you can, compare what’s available from various automakers.