The list of best selling luxury cars September 2011 includes one Korean, two Japanese, three domestic, and four German automakers. In the top five, two each are from Mercedes-Benz and one each are from BMW, Cadillac and Infiniti. As with previous monthly sales leaders, while some of the positions may change, the one that once again claims the top spot doesn’t.
1. BMW 3-Series – The best selling luxury cars September 2011 has one undisputed leader, and that spot belongs to the BMW 3-Series. With sales of 9,289 for the month of September, the 3-Series is thousands of units ahead of the number two contender. For the calendar year through September, the 3-Series racked up sales of 70,566. That’s off 3.9 percent over the same period last year.
2.– With its all-new 2012 Mercedes-Benz C-Class, the German automaker has definitely got a hit on its hands. The BMW 3-series may yet have a challenger for top spot. During September, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class sold 6,865 units, while calendar year-to-date sales of 46,128 are down 0.1 percent year-over-year.
3.– Not far behind its smaller brother, the C-Class, is the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, coming in at a solid number three spot of best selling luxury cars September 2011. Sales during the month totaled 5,122 units, while calendar year sales through September totaled 47,824, up 6.9 percent compared with year-ago levels.
4. Infiniti G – With the Infiniti G, the sedan is the better selling model than the coupe, posting sales of 3,940 versus 1,089 for the month of September. Combined, the two total 5,029. Year-to-date sales of the two models total 43,383 with the sedan up 4.1 percent over year-ago levels and the coupe down 7.8 percent.
5.– Slipping three spots from last month’s number two spot, the Cadillac CTS (coupe, sedan, wagon and CTS-V variants) sold a total of 4,663 units during the month of September. Calendar year-to-date sales totaling 41,900 are up 28.9 percent year-over-year.
6.– One of two Buicks in the top 10 best selling luxury cars September 2011, the Buick LaCrosse sold a total of 4,338 units during the month. Calendar year-to-date sales of 45,058 are down 5.2 percent compared with the same period last year.
7. BMW 5-Series – Sitting in the same position as last month, the BMW 5-Series is once again in seventh place of best selling luxury cars. Sales of 4,097 during the month secured that spot, while calendar year-to-date sales totaling 37,996 are up 55.2 percent over year-ago levels.
8. Lexus ES – Another luxury model claiming the same spot this month as last is the Lexus ES, with sales of 3,627 during the month. For the calendar year through September, the Lexus ES sold 26,960, off 21.0 percent compared with the same period a year ago.
9. Buick Regal – The midsize sporty Buick Regal is once again in ninth spot of best selling luxury cars September 2011 with sales of 3,325 during the month. Sales of 32,657 for the calendar year through September, however, are up 477.6 percent over year-ago levels.
10.– Rounding out the top 10 best selling luxury cars September 2011 is the Hyundai Genesis with sales of 3,000 even during the month. For the calendar year through September, the Genesis has sold a total of 25,224 units.