Sometimes the kind of vehicle you need to take care of everyday needs, including hauling and towing, off-roading, on-highway and light family duty, is a pickup truck. So, as the final sales numbers are in for last year, we’ve got the tally of the best selling pickup trucks in 2011.
1. Ford F-Series – There’s certainly no surprise here. The Ford F-Series pickup truck has retained the top-selling pickup truck spot for 35 consecutive years, as well as best-selling vehicle in America for 30 straight years. For the month of December, Ford F-Series accounted for sales of 68,278 units. For the full 2011 calendar year, the F-Series sold a total of 584,917 units, up 10.7 percent compared with the same period in 2010.
2. Chevrolet Silverado – The erstwhile competitor to the Ford F-Series, the Chevrolet Silverado full-size pickup, is in solid second place of best selling pickup trucks in 2011. For December, the Silverado sold a total of 47,787 trucks, while sales for the full 2011 calendar year amounted to 415,130. That’s up 12.2 percent over year-ago levels.
3. Ram Pickup – Dodge’s entry in the full-size pickup truck segment is simply called the Ram pickup. And with December sales of 26,013 and calendar year sales of 244,763, the Ram wound up the year in solid third place. Ram’s 2011 sales were up 23 percent over year-ago levels.
4. GMC Sierra – The structural twin to the Chevrolet Silverado, the GMC Sierra full-size pickup truck winds up in fourth place of best selling pickup trucks in 2011, thanks to December sales of 16,495 units which propelled the full year sales total to 149,170. That’s up 14.9 percent compared with the same period in 2010. Like the Chevy Silverado, the GMC Sierra was redesigned for 2011.
5.– The compact pickup truck offering from Toyota, the Tacoma, sold 12,140 units in December and closed out the year with sales of 110,705.
6.– The Toyota Tundra, the Japanese automaker’s full-size pickup, meanwhile, sold 9,042 units in December and ended 2011 with a sales total of 82,908.
7.– Farther down the list of best selling pickup trucks in 2011 is the Ford Ranger compact pickup, with December sales of 6,718 and full-year sales totaling 70,832 units. That’s up 27.9 percent compared with the full-year of 2010.
8.– Japanese automaker Nissan has two best sellers in the top ten best selling pickup trucks in 2011. Coming in at number eight spot is the compact Nissan Frontier, posting 5,626 sales in December and closing out 2011 with sales totaling 51,700, up 29.7 percent year-over-year.
9. Nissan Titan – The other Nissan pickup truck in the top ten best sellers for last year is the full-size Nissan Titan, which sold 2,386 units in December and ended 2011 with sales of 21,994. That’s down 6.1 percent over year-ago levels.
10.– The compact Dodge Dakota pickup rounds out the list of best selling pickup trucks in 2011. In December, the Dakota sold 408 units, while the full 2011 sales totaled 12,156. That’s off 7 percent compared with the same period in 2010.