Looking for the cheapest cars to insure for young drivers? While teenage drivers want style, appearance, performance, room for friends, and accessories in their choice of car, parents generally look for cars for their driving teens that are safe, economical (low purchase price, operation and maintenance costs), and inexpensive to insure. That doesn’t mean that the cheapest cars to insure for young drivers can’t satisfy both teens and parents.
Take a look at some of the following makes and models – all of which are generally less expensive to insure than some of their competition.
- Honda Civic – A Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for several years, 4-door models with optional electronic stability control (ESC) offers lots of things that appeal to parents and teens. It’s economical to buy and own, safe, reliable, has good performance, is just the right size for passengers, and is comfortable to drive. There are also numerous options and Civic is easy to accessorize. Best of all, Civic is inexpensive to insure.
- Scion xB – Toyota’s specialty division, Scion, is aimed squarely at the youth market, with innovative, fun, inexpensive, and safe cars teens love. They’re loaded with standard features, have plenty of options, and a fuel-efficient, good-performing engine. is also on the IIHS Top Safety Pick list for 2010-2011.
- Honda Fit – Cute and fun to drive, the hatchback offers teen drivers just the right amount of space to haul their gear and friends. It’s comfortable, great on gas (an EPA-estimated 34 mpg highway), and has low insurance rates. The 2009 Honda Fit with ESC is a IIHS Top Safety Pick.
- Ford Fusion – The midsize , also an IIHS Top Safety Pick for 2009-2011, has handling and safety features to help prevent teens from getting in an accident in the first place. Insurance rates for good teen drivers should be pretty decent as a result. Fusion is also fun to drive and great on gas mileage.
- Kia Soul – This Korean subcompact with the quirky and funky styling also rates on the IIHS Top Safety Pick list, is very popular with teen drivers, has numerous standard safety features, is fun to drive and has plenty of space for passengers and cargo.
For more tips on car insurance, visit our section on car insurance where you can get additional tips and insurance quotes.