How to find cheap car insurance is not as difficult as you think. But you do have to do your homework. It also helps to have a good driving record, since those drivers will get the best rates possible. Here are some tips on how to find cheap car insurance:
- Shop around – To get the best deal, cross-shop multiple – and reputable — car insurance companies.
- Carry a higher deductible – The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly out-of-pocket insurance costs. A $1,000 deductible will cost you less than a $500 or $250 deductible – but be prepared to shell out that amount upfront in the event of a loss.
- Watch your credit score – Make sure your credit score is high by paying all your bills on time. Insurance companies pull your score and credit history when deciding whether or not you’re a good credit risk. If your score isn’t that great, work on repairing it a good six months before you buy a new car or need to find cheap car insurance.
- Go for the discounts – You’ll get a better auto insurance quote if you also carry other types of insurance from the same company, such as home and auto coverage. This is called multi-policy or multi-car discount. There are also discounts for good driver, student discount, number of years with the insurance company, discounts for vehicle tracking devices, and more.
- Check rates before you buy your car – While it may seem obvious, it’s amazing how few people actually consider the cost of insurance when shopping for a new or used vehicle. But it does matter, especially if you’re looking to save money. Sporty, high-profile, and luxury cars, or cars on thieves’ most wanted list, will set you back a lot more for insurance than affordable sedans, coupes, and used vehicles.
- Give it some time – Don’t wait for the last minute to find auto insurance. When you’re in a bind and have to get something right away, you’ll be at a disadvantage, and will likely wind up paying more than you need to.
Bottom line: How to find cheap car insurance involves you doing the necessary legwork first.
For more tips on car insurance, visit our section on car insurance where you can get additional tips and insurance quotes.