Overview (Final Score: A-)
The 2016still sets the benchmark for classic looks with a modern flair and fuel-efficient options in a true SUV format. New updates for this model year include some exterior changes, upgrades for the infotainment system, and a new trim level and engine option.
For this model year, Ford introduced the Explorer Platinum edition equal to any premium-grade offering on the market. With class-leading options like self-parking (both parallel and perpendicular), a bevy of road safety gadgets and classy looks, this new trim is shadowed only by its breathtaking turbocharged V6.
With three engines to choose from, a choice of either front-wheel or all-wheel drive in two of those engines (AWD is standard in the Sport and Platinum trims), and the ability to tow nearly on par with a half-ton pickup, the 2016 Explorer is an excellent contender in the contentious full-sized SUV market. Add in its upscale interior and for many buyers, this SUV is the winner.
What We Loved About the 2016 Ford Explorer
- Excellent interior fitment at all trim levels.
- Solid SUV feel and dynamic with excellent engine options.
- Strong value for the dollar in most trims.
What We Didn’t Love About the 2016 Ford Explorer
- Third row and cargo may not be what some will want.
- Quirky infotainment at the base level.
- Low visibility and maneuverability compared to rivals.
If you might be interested in learning more about the 2016 Explorer, see the full review here.