Overview (Final Score: A-)
Toyota gave a refresh to the 2016 RAV4 lineup of crossovers. One surprise addition is the RAV4 Hybrid, which leaps ahead of the pack with its high fuel economy and relatively few trade-offs to achieve that. This is a surprisingly good hybrid from the company frequently associated with hybrid powertrains.
The 2016Hybrid seats five passengers, has ample cargo space and comes in two trim levels comparable to the upper-tier trims in the rest of the RAV4 model line. The XLE includes a host of standard features sure to appeal to cost-conscious buyers who want the hybrid efficiency, whereas the Limited trim has everything a near-luxury buyer could ask for.
The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid sets a new bar for the segment. One that won’t likely be met by the competition anytime soon.
What We Loved About the 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- Drives well, with good balance thanks to battery placement.
- Excellent value proposition given its fuel economy and price point.
- Strong ergonomics for family use.
What We Didn’t Love About the 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- Exterior design can be polarizing.
- Sometimes sluggish at highway speeds.
- Infotainment in base model is very basic.
To learn more about this car’s features, see the full 2016 RAV4 Hybrid review here.