Overview (Final Score: B+)
The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas is an all-new three-row crossover from VW that was designed by its U.S. operations arm for sale in North America. The Atlas slots between the compact Tiguan and the more expensive Touareg as a midsize three-row offering. The 2018 Atlas is roomy, efficient, and very nicely done.
On the exterior, the VW Atlas has a look more in line with the Tiguan, with bold body lines that aren’t subtle about their movement. The Atlas is possibly the most aggressive Volkswagen in terms of styling, in fact, with a strong curb presence at all angles. These lines aren’t over the top, however, and retain the Teutonic simplicity that the company is most well known for.
What We Love About the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas:
- Nice, aggressive look without being overbearing
- Strong interior dynamics and ergonomics
- Good road presence and feel
What We Don’t Love About the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas:
- Four-cylinder engine is underpowered for the vehicle’s size
- Reliability unpredictable at this point
- Fuel economy in the four-cylinder doesn’t translate to the real world
Get more expert advice now in the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas’ FULL REVIEW with tips on its exterior, technology, safety, reliability, pricing and more.