When you’re shopping for car insurance – and now is as good a time as any, even if your policy isn’t up for renewal yet – it helps to know the top 5 insurance companies. In fact, knowing how satisfied customers are with their insurance companies is a good gauge for deciding which one to choose. For this list of the top 5 car insurance companies, we’ve used the J.D. Power and Associates (JDPA) 2010 U.S. National Auto Insurance Study.
The annual study ranks auto insurance companies across five factors: interaction, policy offerings, billing and payment, price, and claims. The survey finds that consumers are shopping for new insurers at unprecedented rates, feeling sensitive to price increases.
Here are the top 5 car insurance companies in the U.S., based on overall customer satisfaction:
- Amica Mutual – For the 11th consecutive year, Amica Mutual tops the list as ranking highest in customer satisfaction with auto insurance companies. The company has a five-circle rating (highest in each of the five factors listed above), and an overall score of 849. In business for more than a century, Amica Mutual is headquartered in Lincoln, Rhose Island and does business in all states except Hawaii.
- Erie Insurance – Number two on the list of top 5 car insurance companies in terms of overall customer satisfaction is Erie Insurance, posting a JDPA four-circle rating and an overall score of 815. From its beginnings in 1925 as a Pennsylvania auto insurer, Erie Insurance today provides multi-line insurance products to customers in 11 states and the District of Columbia.
- Auto-Owners Insurance – Just two points behind Erie Insurance is Auto-Owners Insurance, with a four-circle rating and overall score of 813. Headquartered in Lansing, Michigan, Auto-Owners Insurance, whose roots trace back 90 years, writes insurance in 26 states.
- Shelter Insurance – Although the fourth-place Shelter has a score of 807, the auto insurance company still has a JDPA four-circle rating. Started in 1946, Shelter Insurance offers insurance products in 14 states. The company is headquartered in Columbia, Missouri.
- State Farm – At 795, fifth-place State Farm just beat out sixth-place Geico (score of 793). Both auto insurance companies have a JDPA four-circle rating. State Farm, which bills itself as the number one auto insurance company (in terms of number of clients) in the U.S. since 1942, wrote its first auto policy in 1922.
For a more detailed look at the auto insurance companies included in the JDPA 2010 U.S. National Auto Insurance Study, check out the company’s website. Once, you have an idea of the companies that would be good to work, start contacting them to get a quote.
For more tips on car insurance, visit our section on car insurance where you can get additional tips and insurance quotes.