The top selling luxury cars June 2011 include models from seven automakers: BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Buick, Cadillac, Audi, Infiniti and Hyundai. Three automakers have two models in the top ten: BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Buick. Eight of the top ten are Top Safety Picks from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
1. 2011 BMW 3-Series – It should come as no surprise that the 2011 BMW 3-Series again leads the pack of top selling luxury cars June 2011. Sales during the month of 9,155 cinched that. Comparing the six-month period of January through June 2011 versus the same time last year, however, the 3-Series’ total of 43,862 is off 7.1 percent. BMW’s best-selling model has a proven track record, powerful engines, exquisite ride and handling, strong crash test scores, and the BMW name. Car and Driver says, “After awarding 10Best trophies to the BMW 3-series for the last 19 years in a row, it’s clear that we’re in love, even through multiple generations and model changes.”
2. 2011 U.S. News and World Report says, “If you’re looking for a luxury-minded cruiser for comfortable road trips and quiet commutes, the LaCrosse may be just what you’re looking for.”– The 2011 Buick LaCrosse is gaining momentum, moving up two spots from fourth place in May. Sales during June of 5,965 are the reason why. Through June, the LaCrosse sold 29,327 units, which is off 3.6 percent over year-ago levels. Of importance to consumers is that the LaCrosse (as well as the Buick Regal, number nine below), are both IIHS Top Safety Picks. The LaCrosse, often referred to as an affordable luxury sedan, is aiming squarely at the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz, having already surpassed Lexus in terms of sales.
3. 2011 Edmunds remarks: “Enjoyable to drive, offering superior quality and available in a host of different body styles, the 2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class is a luxury-car triumph that deserves serious consideration.”– Slipping into third place for June, the 2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class sold a total of 5,798 units during the month. For the six months ending June 30, however, the automaker sold 31,960 E-Class models, up 15 percent from the same time period in 2010. The opulent, large sedan, the E-Class is another IIHS Top Safety Pick.
4. 2011 Edmunds comments: “Impeccably built to a standard befitting its legendary status, the 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class is an impressive luxury car. At the same time, the C-Class’s pricing tends to be higher than its rivals despite giving away a bit in terms of performance.”– Also slipping one spot (from third to fourth) this month is the 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class. Another IIHS Top Safety Pick, the C-Class sold 4,620 units during the month and 29,981 year to-date, up 1.4 percent over year-ago levels.
5. 2011 BMW 5-Series – Moving into fifth place from last month’s number seven spot is the 2011 BMW 5-Series, with sales of 4,365 units in June. Calendar year to-date sales of 25,287 are up 59.6 percent over year-ago levels. Kelley Blue Book says, “Sporting a fresh, mildly aggressive appearance and a reinvigorated trio of powerful and efficient engines, BMW’s mid-level luxury sedan confidently stakes its claim in the luxury sedan segment once again.”
In spots six through ten (with June sales in parentheses) are: 2011(4,198), 2011 Infiniti G (3,785), 2011 (3,610), 2011 Buick Regal (3,533), and 2011 (3,149).