Pickup trucks range from workhorse to luxury tow vehicles, and the top selling pickup trucks June 2011 show that there’s plenty of buyer choice available.
We’ll cover the five top selling pickup trucks, June 2011, in some detail and list the rest of the top 10 at the end.
1. 2011 Ford F-Series – Sales of the full-size 2011 Ford F-Series pickup for the month of June totaled 49,618, up 7 percent from May. For the calendar year through June 30, Ford F-Series sold 264,079, up 10 percent from the same period in 2010. The automaker says that V6-powered F-150 pickups outsold V8 models for the second month in a row. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 accounted for 41 percent of June F-150 sales, while the 3.7-liter V6 accounted for 15 percent of sales. Here’s how one automotive authority, Kelley Blue Book, puts it: “If you want a truck with serious towing and payload capabilities, yet as quiet and comfortable as many luxury sedans, then the F-150 should surely be on your shopping list.”
2. 2011 Chevrolet Silverado – June sales of the full-size 2011 Chevrolet Silverado pickup of 32,579 were more than enough to secure the second-place spot for top selling pickups for the month. For the six month period, Chevy Silverado racked up sales of 182,785, up 9.6 percent over year-ago levels. Car and Driver comments that the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado (and corporate sibling GMC Sierra), “continue to be a class act in this highly-competitive arena,” helped by the fact that “they still offer outstanding engine choices and features galore.”
3. 2011 Dodge Ram – Perennial third-place winner, the 2011 Dodge Ram full-size pickup, reported sales of 21,362 units in June. Calendar year to-date sales totaled 111,898, up 32 percent from the same period last year. Much of the sales boost is due to Ram’s excellent handling, powerful engines and updating for the 2011 model year. As Consumer Guide notes, giving the Dodge pickup its Best Buy nod, “Ram earns high marks for ride comfort, creative storage options, and abundant available power.”
4. 2011 GMC Sierra – Sibling to the Chevy Silverado, yet marketed as the more upscale version, the 2011 GMC Sierra offers good fuel economy, powerful engines (plus a hybrid) and excellent payload and towing capacity. June sales of 12,377 again land the GMC Sierra in fourth place of top selling pickup trucks – June 2011. Through June, the Sierra sold 67,598 units, up 21.6 percent over year-ago levels. Edmunds says, “The 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 is a worthy competitor among fresher rivals, bolstered by a wide range of body styles, capable performance, and a comfortable ride.”
5. 2011– The compact Toyota Tacoma pickup sold 8,131 units in June. While that’s some 4,000 units less than fourth-place GMC Sierra, it’s a solid total for the Japanese automaker, still struggling to get back up-to-speed following the March earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Through June, Toyota Tacoma sold 52,895. That’s up 3.4 percent over the same time last year.
Rounding out the top 10 as top selling pickup trucks June 2011 (with sales in parentheses) are: the full-size 2011(6,615), compact 2011 (6,488), compact 2011 (4,429), compact 2011 (3,010), and compact 2011 (1,185).