For the second month in a row, an American car is at the top of the top selling small cars June 2011. As for the rest of the top ten, there are only a couple of shifts in places. The perennial best-sellers remain firmly in contention for top selling small cars June 2011.
We’ll cover the five top selling small cars June 2011 in some detail and mention numbers six through ten at the end.
1. 2011 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the all-new 2011 Chevrolet Cruze remains solidly in first place of top selling small cars June 2011. Sales in June of 24,896 cinched the Cruze’s first-place spot for the second-consecutive month. Year-to-date sales totaling 122,972 units are another indication of the Chevy small sedan’s consumer popularity. As Consumer Guide says, “Chevrolet has produced a well-rounded compact sedan that holds its own with the best entries in this class. If you are shopping compacts, the Recommended Cruze should certainly be on your shopping list.”– With its five-star overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in more stringent 2011 testing and Top Safety Pick from the
2. 2011-2012 IIHS Top Safety Pick. AutoBlog comments: “And with the available goodies like MyFord Touch and a hatchback body style, the Focus also delivers a little extra usability than the [2011 or 2011 Chevy Cruze]…If you’re willing to give up a few miles per gallon for a few extra giggles per apex, it’s hard to do better than the Focus.”– Right behind the Chevy Cruze, the 2011 Ford Focus June sales total of 21,385 and calendar year-to-date sales of 98,024 are proof that the Ford compact is a hit with consumers. Through June, sales of the Focus are up 9.2 percent over year-ago levels. Expect Focus sales to continue to improve with the all-new 2012 model. The completely redesigned 2012 Ford Focus is also an
3. 2011 Hyundai Elantra – Another IIHS Top Safety Pick, the all-new 2011 Hyundai Elantra posted sales of 19,992 for the month of June. Calendar year-to-date Elantra sales total 103,301 units. That’s up 79.4 percent over the same period in 2010. U.S. News and World Report, in its automotive rankings, has high praise for the Elantra: “Hyundai updated the Elantra for 2011, and now this car offers a complete package: great performance, exceptional fuel economy ratings, impressive features and jazzy exterior styling.”
4. 2011 Edmunds says, “The 2011 Toyota Corolla compact sedan rides well and should be reliable, but is otherwise unremarkable in a segment full of more desirable choices.”– The fortunes of the 2011 Toyota Corolla compact car are up considerably from its fifth-place spot in May sales of small cars. For June, the Corolla sold a total of 18,872 units and through June accounted for sales of 136,747. That’s still off 3.3 percent from year ago levels, but does show improvement from its recent slide. Although last redesigned in 2008, the Corolla has a lot of good attributes, but competition is tough. As
5. 2011 IIHS Top Safety Picks. Expect the Civic’s fortunes to improve, however. As New Car Test Drive remarks: “The Civic continues to hold its position at the top of the highly competitive compact class, thanks to innovative styling, refinement, Honda reliability, and a broad model line that ranges from the eco-friendly Civic Hybrid to the racy Civic Si.”– Sales of the 2011 Honda Civic are off again for the month of June with the automaker reporting sales of 17,485. Year-to-date sales of 127,571 are down 5.1 percent from the same period in 2010. Note that the 2011 and 2012 Honda Civic are
Numbers six through ten of the top selling small cars June 2011 are as follows (with sales numbers in parentheses): 2011(17,105), 2011 (11,314), 2011 Mazda3 (8,612), 2011 (8,191), and 2011 (5,535).