The legendary Jeep takes the lion’s share again of the top selling SUVs, June 2011, snagging five of the top 10 spots. This includes four of the top five.
We’ll cover the five top selling SUVs June 2011 in some detail, listing numbers six through 10 at the end.
1. 2011 Car and Driver comments (about the 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited), “this remains a one-of-a-kind vehicle that’s fun in almost any weather and over almost any terrain, category five hurricanes and lava fields (just barely) excluded.”– Jeep’s compact SUV, the 2011 Jeep Wrangler, is almost unstoppable off-road, and has been for decades. Celebrity owners have ranged from Audie Murphy to today’s Lenny Kravitz, but consumers from all walks of life just gotta have a Wrangler. For June, the Jeep Wrangler sold 11,290 units. For the year to-date through June, a total of 53,236 were sold, up 15 percent from the same time period last year. As
2. 2011 Automobile Magazine remarks, “The 2011 Pilot is priced competitively for the segment, but its interior lacks the quality of some of its rivals. Drivers may also be put off by the boxy design of the Pilot.”– It seats eight passengers, has the legendary Honda quality and reliability and, of course, the Honda name. And for June, Honda sold 9,035 Pilots, good enough to move it up from May’s third place to the number two spot this month. Through June, 51,618 Pilots have been sold, up 2.3 percent over the same time last year.
3. 2011 Road and Track observes, “Completely new save for its optional carryover V-8 engine, the 2011 Grand Cherokee has traveled leagues in refinement while not losing its vaunted off-road capability. But don’t worry, you’ll get used to rock crawling in luxury almost immediately.”– Redesigned for 2011, the midsize Jeep Grand Cherokee boasts a more refined interior and better on-road manners, yet its prowess off-road is better than ever. Grand Cherokee sold 8,969 units in June and its year-to-date total of 54,370 is up 114 percent from year-ago levels.
4. 2011 Consumer Guide says “Patriot lacks the overall refinement of other vehicles in this class…but as a daily driver ready for the occasional off-road foray, a modestly equipped Patriot makes some sense.”– What the 2011 Jeep Patriot has going for it is the fact that it’s an affordable off-road SUV that also has more than a touch of comfort and practicality. That means it’s less easy to live with than most of its compact SUV competitors. But sales of 5,840 Patriots in June seem to prove consumers don’t mind a good deal. Through June, Jeep sold 29,153 Patriots, up 78 percent from the same period in 2010.
5. 2011 Kelley Blue Book comments: “The new 2011 Dodge Durango is well suited to those who need to carry more than five passengers [Durango seats up to seven in three rows] and tow more than 7,000 pounds, all while riding in car-like comfort. Styling inspired by the adds a sporty dimension not shared by other vehicles in this class.”– The midsize all-new 2011 Dodge Durango moves from eighth spot in May’s SUV sales rankings to the number five spot for June, posting sales of 5,827 units for the month. Calendar year to-date sales total 23,571.
In spots six through ten of the top selling SUVs June 2011, with sales in parentheses, are the following: 2011(5,476), 2011 (5,252), 2011 (4,763), 2011 (3,354) and 2011 (3,073).